----Ratings-----

----Ratings----
0-50 pts. Below Par, false advertising
60 pts. Ok, I wouldn’t buy again
70 pts. Good wine, I would buy this again
80 pts. I like it. Strongly recommended
90 pts. Amazing!


Wednesday 14 September 2011

2008 Ben Portet Ten Men Shiraz


2008 Ben Portet Ten Men Shiraz

$35

Cellar door at Dominique Portet wines in the Yarra Valley.

I have an affinity with this wine because my wife and I love to visit the winery it was made, mostly for lunch and to look through the jams and French farm house merchandise.

This wine is made by Ben Portet, who is as the bottle label suggests, is the 10th generation of wine maker in the family starting with Jean in 1698.

It has a deep crimson colour with a sensible stewed raspberry nose. I can smell fruit mince pie balanced nicely by a dollop of cream on the side.

Forget the plums and black pepper of the Barossa, this is far more balanced and elegant. More flavours of raspberries and cream, then comes the dark chocolate and cedar box. Respectful tannin structure makes it a good match to a light stew or casserole. All in all, medium bodied shiraz with a little white pepper finish.

79 points

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.